Thursday, October 27, 2011

quiet & proud

He was built of light and smiles.
A quiet man.
Dignified.
He collected darts, and the love of those around him.
I always looked forward to our time together.


He was a man who always inspired me to be more compassionate.
To try and listen more.
To try harder.
Never give up.


Didn't say much.
When he did, you listened.
A man whose soft words fell like diamonds from his lips.
You always knew it was important.
You always knew he loved you.
You always knew that there were angels manifested in flesh, and they would always protect you with their prayers and hugs.
You knew.


Damnit, you knew.

Such a perfect contrast/compliment to his outgoing and bubbly wife.
Both so loving.
Just different ways of showing it.


I remember my first communion.
I was a little older than you normally are when these things typically happen.
They visited from Canada for this.
He was so proud.
We were a Catholic family, you see.
He was beaming, standing tall.
Proud.
He had one of those smiles that reached his eyes that day.
Huge hug. Told me how proud he was to be my Godfather.
Said he loved me so much.
I would never doubt that.
Not once. Not ever.
I always knew.


Goddamnit, I knew.

He always proved it in his patience, his wisdom.
His quiet and caring ways.


I became older. Those hugs became strong handshakes. I was now a man.
They always felt like hugs to me.
That first handshake was a rite of passage to me.
A sign of adulthood and respect.
His smile still made his eyes shine and sparkle.


He always looked directly into your eyes.
There was never any room for deceit.
Couldn't be.
Just wasn't a part of him.
Too honest for that.


He became older, lost the ability to speak.
Wrote his words on paper.
Measured them carefully, wrote only when he needed to.
His scrawl was just like his speech.
Never a wasted or unnecessary phrase.


Saw him less than 2 months ago.
Was still that symbol of strong dignity and quiet pride.
And love.
Was a good visit.


He will always be that shining beacon,
Glittering hope in the dark.
Proof of what humanity can become if they let themselves.
I love my Godfather.


I will miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment