Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Intimacy Of Our Evenings

"I think that you're running from something." This is how this older gentleman introduced himself to me."My wife thinks that you write the loveliest music, but it makes me very sad to watch. I mean, I really enjoy it, but at times you have a look. Like there are demons chasing you." Shakes his head. "Don't listen to me. I'm just an old man. How much are your cds?"

Another performance. Another moment of broken barriers with strangers that I didn't expect.
I've met and made some dear friends in situations like these.

One of the things I love so much about an intimate live music setting is that whether you are a listener or performer (and I love being both), it can be the great equalizer between all, and at times the best of icebreakers. It seems that within this sacred realm those precious walls that we spend so much time fortifying can effortlessly fall away, and an absolute stranger can look at you and make the most penetrating statements.

Those simple words that make you think long after the lights go out and the crowd has left for their warm beds.

It's a setting like this where I think we can all feel safe, because we shared an evening together with music as the guide to our ears, ours hearts, and sometimes something else. It could be a time of joy, of sadness and maybe a little silliness. An evening that won't ever come again.

There will be others, and just as wonderful, but not exactly like that. That night is ours. We felt like we walked with giants that night and let our hearts rule us. We let the sounds lead us unto beautiful lands, where it's not enough to just feel good again for a little while. We could hope and dream again on our night.

Because that night we shared was only meant for us.

Little things:
- Tomorrow night in Tacoma at the Mandolin Cafe. 6-8pm
- Submitted music today to potentially be licensed for use in TV shows and videogames, among other things. Cross your fingers.
- Have been in discussions with a few indie labels about the future. It is exciting, to say the least, but I still don't feel like we share the same vision. I'm trying to be open-minded.
- Reviews are opinions from people. I used to get very, very excited or depressed depending on the words within a review. I now just appreciate someone taking the time to write one. :) Even though it is a necessary thing, and sometimes very good for personal growth, I'm more interested in your thoughts and opinions.

Thank you as always for being supportive and believing in me and my dreams.
~ Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment