Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Trivialities and some maybe not so trivial things.

I made someone cry the other night. It was the last song I played before taking a break.
She was lovely; medium-length, curly blond hair, very defined features, a beautiful son at her side, gray-blue eyes that were almost like smoke, and something in her posture and the sway of her shoulders that reminded me of an all-too feminine Atlas, serving her sentence to hold up an entire world.

"What was that song you just played?" she asked. I told her the name of it. She asked if I had recorded it. I said no, and mentioned that I really didn't know if I will. Even though deep down she already knew the answer, she asked what it was about. I hesitated. Not always simple explanations for certain songs. It's a piece I don't play very often any more.

I hesitated a little longer, completely unsure of how to put a million different madnesses and uncertainties into a simple phrase.

Normally, I am more than happy to share certain stories and origins, and I'm always very honored when someone asks. But this one is mine.

All of this churning inside occurring within the space of a very long few seconds. I'm still hesitating.

She just smiled and nodded shyly. As she wiped another tear from her beautiful face, she said thank you, and with her now very impatient son in tow, she walked out.
Atlas never looked more beautiful.

Little things:
- The iPhone app has become very popular this last week. People have (as always) been extrememly supportive of me and whatever I'm up to next. I can't wait for the Android version to be available.

- I love this process of booking at all of these venues I'm finding, and I love discovering more and more of them weekly.
- I am looking forward to going back to Tacoma on Wednesday to perform at the Mandolin Cafe (6-8pm). Great place, fantastic people. :)
- There's still more and more in the works, and I'm trying to keep up with it all. Just some deep breaths and a little bit at a time.
~ Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment